Sonia Cevicheria

Sonia Menu

The colorful laid back restaurant

Mussels

Ceviche de la Casa

Ceviche

Flounder Ceviche


Some of the decor in the restaurant

The boat that caught our lunch

Sonia

The Seahorse that the owner, Freddy, gifted me with on the way out
When I knew that I was going to the gastronomical capital of South America, and the land of the best ceviche around I knew exactly where I was heading when I landed in Lima; Sonia Cevicheria. Like true food fans, my mom felt it necessary to make this ceviche stop prior to checking into our hotel, dropping off our bags, and washing up after our flight from Puno. Where Anthony Bourdain went in No Reservations: Lima, Sonia Cevicheria is a family run business with the most tropical fun feel and the best seafood you may ever eat. With half the restaurant covered and half in open sunlight, music like The Beach Boys is playing as the sun shines in on a clearly colorful restaurant. Ecstatic that we finally arrived at the long awaited Sonia Cevicheria, my  mom and I took a look around at the restaurant soaking up every moment in this perfect afternoon lunch spot. We were greeted by Freddy the owner, who spoke little english but between my Spanish and his English we managed to communicate well. A real gent, and a true fisherman Freddy runs a family shop with his wife in the kitchen, his son at a table, and his grandson playing games beside him. Besides the amazing atmosphere of the place and the excellent service, the food was beyond anything I could have imagined. The large chunks of fish fresher than I have ever had, were all caught that morning by Freddy himself, and served with the perfect amount of acidity. Between the ceviche of the house, the flounder ceviche, and the absolutely out the this world mussels I would make it mandatory for anyone traveling to Lima, Peru to make Sonia a destination on their journey. This isn't a restaurant that just has good food or good service, it is an institution in Lima of a restaurant that encompasses a laid back atmosphere, top notch fresher than fresh food, and a family run business that strives to give their customers the best dining experience they can possibly offer. Incase this lunch wasn't perfect enough, when thanking Freddy on the way out, he gifted me with a real seahorse that he caught himself. By far one of the coolest experiences ever.

Comments

Popular Posts